UK EEA Family Permit


Family members of a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA), who are not nationals of the EEA, need a UK EEA Family Permit to visit or join their EEA national relative in the UK. The EEA Permit allows non-EEA nationals to visit or join a family relative, who is a national of the EEA, in the United Kingdom. Holders of this visa allow, who are not nationals of the EEA, to live and work with no restriction in the UK for up to 5 years, after which they can file for permanent residence. EEA Family Permit for Citizens of this area is only valid for 6 months, and he or she is required to file for a Resident Permit during this 6 months.


To be eligible for the EEA Family Permit, 

  • Both the EEA national and the non-EEA family relative must have met with each other before applying for the visa.
  • Both the EEA national and the non-EEA family relative must declare intentions to live with each other.
  • The EEA national must be,
  • Both the EEA national and the non-EEA family relative must have sufficient funds to cater for themselves even without public funds.
  • Either the EEA national must be in the UK, or both parties must enter the UK together.
  • The EEA nationals must be usingtheir Treaty rights in the United Kingdom (i.e. study, self-employment, employment.)

Along with the above requirements, the applicant must provide the following documents:

  • Proof of the relationship between the applicant and the EEA national (i.e. birth certificate, or marriage certificate).
  • A national identity card or a valid passport.
  • The applicants must prove that he or she is dependent on the EEA national.

Documents that are not written in English or Welsh, applicants must provide a certified translation.


The EEA Family Permit holders get to enjoy the following benefits:

  • They can live with their EEA national for up to 5 years with the UK EEA Family Permit.
  • During this period, they can work without restrictions in the UK.
  • At the end of the 5-year validity period of the UK EEA Family Permit, they can apply directly for Permanent Residence in the UK.

Fee Structure:

The UK EEA Family Permit is free of charge.

Quick Enquiry

free hit counters
Chat live now
Got a Question?
Chat with our Visa Expert